I allowed my little boy Noah make most of this soup and he dubbed it his “Choppin & Squashin Soup”.
I’m gonna share this recipe as by some stroke of luck – and it was pure luck- this soup turned out gorgeous! We didn’t follow a recipe, it was more like chuck anything left in the fridge into the pot! I think I only noted the ingredients because he was asking me “what’s next” and absorbing it all, I’m glad now!
I used Coconut Milk and it gave it the nicest flavour and consistently. It does make it sweeter, I think this is why my guys gobbled it up and it will now be in our winter mealtime rotation!
Here’s a little video of the prep. He done it all himself bar peeling the butternut squash , but I can hardly do that myself (buy the pre prepared bag guys ha!) He loves cooking so I try and allow him as much as possible. He even cried through chopping the onions but I showed him my running water trick and he was delighted.
- 1 Butternut squash
- 2 yellow Peppers
- 1 red Pepper
- 3 carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 onions
- 1/2 spoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 spoon Chilli Powder
- 2 Knorr (Chicken) Stock Pots
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- Ground Pepper
- Thin slice of real butter/Spoon olive oil
- Prep your peppers first, slice in half and roast in oven for 20/30 minutes. (This step is optional)
- Prep all other vegetables and cut evenly
- (Remove peppers from oven and remove skin & slice)
- Dissolve 2 stock pots into 3 cups of boiling hot water and add your cumin and chilli powder and set aside.
- Heat your butter / oil in a pan and add your Onions and Garlic (and finely chopped peppers if not roasting). Allow to sweat for 5 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Stir up your stock and add into your pot.
- Add all the rest of your vegetables and bring to the boil. Reduce heat once on boil to a simmer and cook for 45/55 minutes.
- Blitz soup until creamy and allow to cool to a lukewarm temperature or below.
- Gently add your can of coconut milk (shake well before opening), carefully stirring in. Blitz again until completely smooth and creamy. Add ground pepper to suit your taste. If you don’t allow your soup to cool before adding coconut milk it will curl.
- Serve and Enjoy!!!!